Wednesday, March 30, 2011

HOMESCHOOLING -- WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON IT?

Many of you have heard the stories I've shared about my son and his history of physical and socio-emotional challenges.  If you are a new comer I can wrap it up quickly in a nutshell for you--my son was diagnosed at the age of nine months with having GERD, Failure-to-Thrive, and Sensory Processing Disorder (along with a few other things).  He has received Occupational Therapy for most of his life--he is currently five years old.

Although we have come over many hurdles and seem to be doing fairly well today, we still have major issues with his SPD.  Aside from his own personal dealings with SPD management, he has to deal with educators who have no awareness or understanding of SPD and how to deal with children who have this diagnosis.  THEREFORE,...........

I am considering homeschooling, but need some feedback from those who have insight on this subject. 

SO...please share your comments.  WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON HOMESCHOOLING?

6 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I don't know much about home schooling, but some of the parents in my grandsons cub scout troop home school. If you want, I could ask them if it would be OK to give you their email, so you could contact them. Would you like me to give them your blog link? Email me at Loreman1@embarqmail.com if interested.
    Mary L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, thanks for the feedback. Yes, I would love if you could give your friend my blog link so that she can share her insights on homeschooling with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cymantha,
    I passed along your blog link to a friend that may be able to give you some realistic information. Hope it helps!
    Mary L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a million, Mary! Looking forward to hearing from your friend soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, it's Mary again. My friend, Kristen, tried to send you info. She ended up emailing it to me, and I copied and pasted it below. I hope it helps!

    From Kristen:
    Well, I left a comment, but it wouldn't let my post because I don't have an account with any of their profiles. Can you just tell her to check out hahaofpa.org? It's the Harrisburg Area Homeschool Association support group for Hbg area. It has tons of links to all kinds of info. NATHAN is a support group just for parents of special needs kids.

    Sorry I'm not tech savvy!

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen,
    Thanks for the tip! I did visit the HAHA site, and it was very informative in regards to the type of support groups that are available to homeschoolers in Harrisburg, PA. I am a MIchigander, and have begun looking for a similar type of organization here.

    What do you think about the homeschooling concept? Do you feel that it is a positive thing or a negative thing to do for special needs children?

    ReplyDelete

Teachers Are Like ...

  • Light Bulbs--bringing good things to light.
  • Locksmiths--unlocking our future with keys of knowledge.
  • Farmers--sowing seeds of knowledge into fertile minds.

EDUCATION COMES IN SO MANY DIFFERENT WAYS

Depending on your topic and regardless of your credentials, you can teach someone about something. Discover what you do best, nurture it, and pass it on!