Friday, March 16, 2012

COMMUNICATION AND CULTURE

Cultural Myopia—it is an elaborate term for yet another type of discriminatory supremacy, which views one’s own culture appropriate and relevant in all situations and to all people (O’Hair & Wiemann, 2009); and unfortunately, it has touched the life of every human being in some way, shape, or form.  The key to its resolve is to first recognize its existence, and then address it accordingly.  Through my recent study of this condition, I have come to recognize that I, myself, have communicated differently with people from different groups and cultures.  Whether it was intentionally or unintentionally done to discriminate against or to validate uniqueness, my communication has been laced with my own personal beliefs about my religious culture being relevant in all situations for all people.  Based on what I have learned, here are three strategies I’ve decided to implement in order to help me communicate more effectively with people or religious groups that differ from my own:

·         Use self-reflection as a guiding mechanism for implementing successful communication (Vuckovic, 2008) – the purpose of self-reflection is to increase my awareness of my own culture, personality, identity as it relates to my religion or situation, as well as other factors; this will increase my recognition of habits, intentions, and emotions that I may have that carry pre-judgments which are not substantiated by truth. The unveiling of such biases brings about the opportunity for me to fix the hurtful perceptions and communication styles that pose a problem.

·         Choose a communication style that presents the communication partner with the same level of meaning as it relates to the factual or emotional content of the messages (Vuckovic, 2008) – bringing the topic of discussion to the same page or level of meaning  for the communication partner creates a more equalized playing field; selecting appropriate topics and reflecting on my tone of voice, expressions, reactions, and hundreds of other factors influencing my communication style can help me to be more mindful of other’s feelings with the hope of potentially alleviating misrepresented messages.

·         Identify the communication moderators—habits, intentions and feelings—that hinder effective communication (Vuckovic, 2008) – the behavioral expressions of my habits, intentions and feelings can carry culturally influenced communicative meanings, which may entail hidden microaggressions (Sue, 2010).  Recognizing and identifying these potentially hazardous communication glitches, and replacing them with effective communication strategies, can aid me in fostering a more open, honest and friendly attitude towards others despite our differences.   Taking such steps will help to alleviate unintentional acts of cultural myopia.
References

Sue, D. W. (2010). Microaggressions in everyday life: Race, gender, and sexual orientation. New York, NY: Wiley.

Vuckovic, A. (2008). Inter-cultural communication: A foundation of communicative action. Multicultural Education and Technology Journal, 2(1), 47–59.

2 comments:

  1. Cymantha,

    I really appreciate the three strategies you have listed! Self-reflection, clear and concise communication, and communication barriers (moderators) are all wonderful strategies that will surely help individuals to become more effective communicators. I would have to say that the strategy I identify most with and am constantly working on is self-reflection. I want to make sure I am aware of my personal self so that I can be cognitive of the way I respond to others.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cymantha,

    I love how clearly you listed these strategies. Self-reflection is a key way to helping avoid cultural myopia and becoming a more effective communicator. It is most important to be self-aware in order to become more efficient with our communication skills.

    Great post!
    Raina

    ReplyDelete

Teachers Are Like ...

  • Light Bulbs--bringing good things to light.
  • Locksmiths--unlocking our future with keys of knowledge.
  • Farmers--sowing seeds of knowledge into fertile minds.

EDUCATION COMES IN SO MANY DIFFERENT WAYS

Depending on your topic and regardless of your credentials, you can teach someone about something. Discover what you do best, nurture it, and pass it on!