Saturday, March 24, 2012

WHO AM I AS A COMMUNICATOR?

In retrospect, I’ve learned many things about my effectiveness or ineffectiveness as a communicator.  The one thing that most surprised me is how I perceive myself versus how others perceive me.  It’s one thing to believe that I am an excellent listener and nonaggressive when it comes to expressing my views; but, it is totally different when someone else views you to be something totally opposite from what you thought you were portraying.  On the other hand, it can be quite refreshing and most rewarding when you attempt to portray certain attributes as a competent communicator, and find that your audience perceives you as such too.  All in all, my current studies about effective communication have led me to the following insights:

           It is essential to develop an effective variation of listening styles that are most appropriate for the situation in which I am communicating. There will be times when the situation may call for efficiency in carrying out an action, or an imperativeness to focus on detailed information before making decisions, or an adherence to a very meticulous schedule; my ability to listen effectively and yet accomplish specific action, content, and time-oriented goals is imperative to my ability to become a competent communicator (O’Hair & Wiemann, 2009).

           It is imperative to acquire and/or to strengthen Active/Reflective listening skills. The most useful listening skills are those that demonstrate genuine interest in understanding what the other person is relaying, as well as taking the time to verify their intended meaning prior to responding with our own new message.  Reciprocity in giving and in receiving messages with the verifying of the correct intent of the messages is what makes communicating most effective (Nadig, 2010).



References

Nadig, L. A. (2010). Tips on effective listening. Retrieved from http://www.drnadig.com/listening.htm

O’Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2009). Real communication. New York: Bedford/St. Martin’s.

4 comments:

  1. Cymantha:

    I think it is essential that we learn to be active listeners as well. All to often we think listening takes no real work, we just simply waiting our turn to talk again. But we must remain focused and as intentional in how we receive messages as we are in delivering them.

    Thank you for sharing your insights,
    LouAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cymantha,

    Being an effective listener is an ongoing effort that must be continually evaluated. I find it is most difficult for me to be an effective/active listener when I have a lot of other things going on in my head, it is hard for me to focus on what is being said. It is always interesting to find out what others think about certain aspects of our self; this assignment was an eye opener for sure! Thanks for your post!

    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. CC, I think that knowing when to switch gears in communication styles by picking up on the communication partners cues is the most difficult part of effective communication. I think that it is easy to misinterpret non-verbal cues, especially when the communication partner is unfamiliar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cymantha,
    It can be very refreshing to learn that who you try to be is the same as how people perceive you to be. This was very encouraging for me to learn during these evaluations. I'm glad to hear that you felt rewarded, as well.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Teachers Are Like ...

  • Light Bulbs--bringing good things to light.
  • Locksmiths--unlocking our future with keys of knowledge.
  • Farmers--sowing seeds of knowledge into fertile minds.

EDUCATION COMES IN SO MANY DIFFERENT WAYS

Depending on your topic and regardless of your credentials, you can teach someone about something. Discover what you do best, nurture it, and pass it on!